Saturday, January 14, 2012

Fuzzy Math

Last night I had something happen that may never happen again.  I had a delivery to the middle of nowhere Leeds that brought me my biggest single tip to date.  All because the lady didn't want to fool with figuring some simple math.

The total on the order was $24.63.  It was a split ticket, meaning that half the order was paid with a check and the other half with a credit card.  When I got there, a man in overalls came to the door and said that the two women inside ordered it and he didn't know anything about it.  Why he came to the door I have no clue.  He gave me a check for $10.63.  I gave him the credit card slip that had the total $24.63 on it and explained it would be split when I got back to the store so just tell the lady to subtract the check I already had and that would be her total.  Pretty simple, right?  She owed me $14.00.  He goes back in and gives it to her and she starts asking around for a calculator then says, "Oh well, I'll just do it this way".  After a minute, the guy comes back to the door, hands me the credit slip and a $5 bill.  I give him his pizzas and head back to the car only glancing quickly at the slip.  Only when I get back to the store to cash in do I realize that by, "Oh well, I'll just do it this way", she meant skipping the math and filling the slip out for $24.63.  Or the amount of the order.  Thanks for the $15 tip.

The best part about it was I wasn't even up for that delivery.  The guy that was supposed to take it said he didn't want it.  I made sure to thank him for the $15 when I got back.

That, plus not getting stiffed on any orders last night helped me get my biggest night so far.  I worked 4.5 hours, took 10 deliveries, and made $60 in tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment