Saturday, March 10, 2012

In The Red

Friday night was the first real busy night we've had since the new manager took over the store.  We stayed at the edge of disaster the entire time.  In the kitchen there is a computer that acts as the center of the delivery driver's world.  It displays the delivery orders and is where the driver dispatches each run as it is ready to leave the store.

Basically, as each order is ready to leave it is dispatched to the next driver on the list.  Last night was extremely busy and we were short on drivers.  So every order on the computer was listed in red.  Meaning it was already late before leaving the store.  Really great for tips.

All my runs except for the very first one I took were late before it was even in the hot bag - that's the bag that keeps your pizza hot from the store to your house.  Luckily, I delivered to mostly good customers who still tipped on late orders.  From listening to some grumbles, the other drivers weren't as lucky. 

I didn't deliver to it, but I did pass by the house from last week with the weird concrete demons in the yard.  Last week when I delivered there, there were red lights on either side of the front door.  Last night I noticed the red lights had been replaced with green lights.  There's something strange about that place, and if I ever get a delivery there again, I'm going to ask what the lights mean.  I'll let you know what I find out.

Worked 3.5 hours, had 10 deliveries, and made $47 in tips.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, there. Fellow driver, here. Nice blog. Haven't read much, but will remedy that soon. Can you divulge the general location of your area? I'm in Huntsville, Alabama; my store is Marco's, and our delivery area crisscrosses Huntsville, Madison, and several rural areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading. I'm in Moody, AL. Our delivery area covers Moody and Leeds and part of Trussville.

    ReplyDelete