Monday, April 2, 2012

Rain Is No Excuse?

So Friday night wasn't really busy, but it rained most of the night so deliveries were running a little bit behind.  Most people take that into account and tip anyway because of the rain.  All of my customers tipped decent and I had no non-tippers until my last run of the night.

It was pouring down rain and the customer was way out on Montevallo Road in Leeds, so  the delivery was about 30 minutes late.  When I got there, the dude answered the door with, "It's been a minute since I called this in".  I told him that with the rain, we were running a little bit behind.  He paid with a credit card so I handed him his slip.  He signed it then drew a big line across the section for a tip.  He told me, "Gonna have to scratch the tip tonight, because rain is no excuse for getting a delivery late to someone who paid money for a service."  I mentioned that he didn't pay anything for any service because he didn't tip, he just paid for his pizza.  Oh, before I forget, there was no covering over his front porch, so during his little lecture I'm still standing in the rain.  He kept talking about something as he handed me back the slip, but I'd decided that I'd heard enough and just turned around and went back to the car.

FYI, when you decide to get all uppity and lecture your pizza delivery driver, maybe don't come to the door still wearing your work uniform.  Needless to say, the Express Oil in Leeds will never get a dime of my money.

Worked 4 hours, had 6 deliveries, and made $35 in tips.

2 comments:

  1. I'm tellin ya, bad weather brings out the worst in about half the customers. The fact that someone would rather have a stranger bring them dinner in hazardous conditions already sets you up for an unappreciative character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey -- my name is Frank, and I run a website called jobstr.com, where people can answer questions about their jobs. Would you be interested in taking some Q&A on our site about being a pizza delivery man? We'd love to have you do so, and I'm certain our audience will have a bunch of questions. If so, please shoot me a note at frank@jobstr.com, or just go to jobstr.com and click "Start a Q&A" on the homepage. Thanks either way, and keep up the great blog!

    ReplyDelete